Comprehensive Medical Nutritional Approach
Dr. Calapai’s comprehensive medical nutritional approach was established to be able to evaluate all underlying causes of medical issues that patients are suffering from. This is a big change from the traditional medical symptom oriented approach. It is a mechanism that allows patients to understand their bodies and the options that they have to be able to grow far more healthy. In many cases patients can dramatically change their health and the progression of illness. Many patients are able to lose weight, reverse disease, and lower long term medical costs.
The approach includes a detailed history, physical exam and a series of tests look at a wide range of concerns.
The blood testing includes:
- Vitamin and Mineral Levels.
- Complete blood count.
- Comprehensive Chemistry or Metabolic Profile.
- Liver panel.
- Complete thyroid panel, including thyroid antibodies.
- Complete lipid and cholesterol profile.
- Hemoglobin A1 C
- Celiac Panel.
- Adrenal Hormones including DHEA And Cortisol.
- Amylase and lipase.
- Growth hormone.
- Testosterone for men and women.
- Complete female hormone panel.
- Infectious disease testing, including Epstein-Barr virus, CMV.
- PSA and free percent PSA for men.
- Cardiovascular analysis, including homocysteine, fibrinogen, CRP.
- Blood testing for heavy metals.
- Urine testing for heavy metals.
- MTHFR – genetic testing for B12 conversion.
- Iron profile.
*Other specific testing may be added depending upon the patient’s history and results from the physical exam.
- Cardiovascular evaluation – including carotid sonogram, echocardiogram, transcranial Doppler, abdominal vessel, lower extremity arterial and vein studies.
- Cardiovascular monitoring with take-home telemetry unit.
- Heidelberg gastric digestive analysis – determines ability to break down, digest and absorb
- Neurologic testing – nerve conduction velocity.
- Autonomic and Sympathetic Testing.
- Allergy testing – intradermal skin testing for foods or inhalants/environmental.
Once this information is documented, a full review of all testing is completed and a variety of protocols can begin.
For example, those who have low levels of vitamins and minerals will be instructed as to what foods and vitamin supplements to take to become truly healthy. Within one month, some parts of the initial testing will be repeated to ensure benefit and results.
Patients are required at their first visit to fill out a list of all of their symptoms and complaints and continue to document improvements throughout the course of their therapy. This documentation will be reviewed with Dr. Calapai at each office visit.
Please feel free to call the office for any information or questions. 516-794-0404